Art of Disappointment

Content Notes: John is an OMC by me from my fic where Tim is abused by his father. SFW with incest and character death.


"Tim, it's time for breakfast."

His father's hand is gentle as it strokes his hair, staying there even as Tim makes no move to leave the bed. John sighs, and a second later the mattress sinks when John sits on the edge of it, his hand moving to Tim's shoulder.

"I'm not hungry," Tim says.

"I know. But you have to eat." John starts to turn him over on his back, and though Tim resists first, he doesn't have the energy to do so for long; he lets himself be turned, looking up into John's concerned eyes as John rests his hand on his cheek.

"Tim, I know it's hard. Believe me, I know it through and through. But you know that the last thing Danny would want is for you to waste away."

Tim swallows, staring at his father. John is starting to go grey and he wears glasses these days, but even so he looks so much like Danny, and it pains Tim to know that he will never get to see Danny age like this. He closes his eyes, trying to fight the rising tears.

"I wish you would tell me what happened," John whispers.

Tim loses his fight. He squeezes his eyes as shut as he can anyway, but the tears keep seeping out, and tremors start to break through him as John wipes his thumb across his closed eyes.

"I failed him. That's all you need to know." He turns his face away from John's hand, unable stand its tender touch. But it pursues him, grasping him by the jaw to tilt his head up, and when he opens his eyes, he sees that John's eyes are full of tears too.

"Whatever happened, I have no doubt you did everything you could." John leans down, kissing Tim on his forehead. "I know you, Tim. You are a good brother, a good son. Hell would freeze over before you let Danny down."

Tim wants to believe that so bad.

"After all," John says, cupping Tim's face with both hands now. "When your mother died, you didn't let me down, either."

And he kisses Tim on the mouth.

And Tim remembers why he doesn't believe in anything John says.

Back to Fic
Back to Fanstuff
Back to Index