Nothing But Ghosts

Content Notes: AU where Jon left with the fears but Martin was left behind with Elias's ghost.


The fears are gone, Jon is gone. It's unfair that Elias is still there.

"I'm sure he thinks about you a lot, wherever he is." Elias's voice is right in Martin's ear, as if he's whispering straight into it. Martin can almost feel Elias's breath, the movement of his soft lips. "You made quite an impression on him, Martin. He will carry you with him forever."

Martin is back in his own flat, which is lonelier than ever now. He is in his own bed, and in the physical world he is alone; there is no extra weight on the mattress, nobody is tugging his covers away, there is no warm body pressed against his own. And yet Elias's voice creeps into his ear like a snake, his words squirming into Martin's brain as easily as they always have.

"He could have taken me with him," he says.

Martin understands why Jon had to leave. Jon couldn't live in this world and know that the others would suffer from the fears; he went away with them so the other worlds wouldn't have to face the terrors he had alone. Martin knows this is the only way Jon could have ever been happy; he understands why Jon is not here. What he doesn't understand is why he had to be left behind.

"He wanted to give you a chance for a fearless life. Isn't that what you wanted, Martin? Isn't that why you killed me?" Elias chuckles, and although the sound is quiet, it seems to fill Martin's entire head. "And you did such a good job, too. Very thorough. I never thought you would have it in you, but once again you proved me so very wrong."

There is no one in the bed but Martin, but it feels like a pair of arms wind around him anyway, followed by the press of a warm body against his own.

"You saved the world, Martin. You should be very proud of yourself." A kiss lands on his temple, light and delicate. "Jon is, and that's what you will have to be content with."

Martin rolls over to his side, clasping his ears with his hands. But the truth of Elias's words remains.

Back to Fic
Back to Fanstuff
Back to Index